An ultrasound before an abortion is critical for your safety, especially if you plan to take the abortion pill you order online. An ultrasound is critical for your safety since you won’t be under a doctor’s care during you abortion at home. Still need more specific info as to why it matters?
An Ultrasound Will Tell You:
- Pregnancy Confirmation: An ultrasound is the best way to confirm that you’re actually pregnant. Also, unfortunately sometimes, pregnancy tests are wrong. It sounds silly, but it’s important to check to make sure you’re actually pregnant before you take the abortion pills.
- Gestational Age: Depending on how far along you are, it’s not even safe for you to take the abortion pills. The FDA has approved the abortion pills for up to 10 weeks gestation. If you’re past 10 weeks, you’ll need to travel for a surgical abortion. An ultrasound is the most reliable way to tell how far along your pregnancy actually is.
- Risk Assessment: An ultrasound shows certain medical conditions or abnormalities that might affect your safety were you to take the abortion pills.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: An ectopic pregnancy is when the pregnancy is located outside the uterus, often times the fallopian tubes. An ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency that cannot be fixed with the abortion pill. Also, you’ll need immediate emergency care. If you take the abortion pill and your pregnancy is ectopic, your risk of serious medical complications increases drastically.
To read what the Mayo Clinic says about the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, click HERE.
- Informed Consent: Before having any medical procedure, it’s crucial for you to be fully informed about your health status and the options available to you. An ultrasound allows you to receive vital information, ask questions, and make an informed decision about your healthcare.
- Viability: Viability just means that your pregnancy is still progressing. About 1 in 4 pregnancies end in a miscarriage naturally, so an abortion might not be necessary. An ultrasound will show if your pregnancy is progressing or if it has stopped and you’ll end up miscarrying. Don’t pay for an abortion if you don’t need one.
The decision to have an abortion is a life-altering decision that shouldn’t be rushed into for many reasons. No matter what you decide to do with your pregnancy, it’ll be a part of your life story forever.
If you are considering taking the abortion pill, you need to talk to a healthcare provider first- someone like us. We will guide you through the process, provide your individualized medical information, and address any concerns you may have. To schedule your zero-cost, confidential ultrasound with one of our registered nurses, click HERE
Remember, the best kind of decision is an informed decision.