If you’re thinking about the mail-order abortion pill for your unexpected pregnancy there are some things you need to know before you order, pay for, and take them.
1. you need to know if you have pre-existing conditions or take certain medicines that make it so taking the abortion pill is dangerous for you.
2. you need to understand the risks of the abortion pill. It’s not like taking Tylenol.
3. you need to schedule some essential pre-abortion screenings.
Check out more details below!
Things to Know About The Abortion Pill
Sure, the FDA has approved the mail-order abortion pill, but there are some really important things you need to know before you take it. The abortion pill does comes with risks, so not having your pre-abortion screening can negatively impact your long-term health and immediate safety.
1. You May Be Ineligible for the Abortion Pill
You shouldn’t take the abortion pill if you’re on certain medications. Mayo Clinic offers a comprehensive list of medications that would disqualify you from safely taking the abortion pill.
Also, if any the points below describe you, it means it is not safe for you to take the abortion pill:
1. If you are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn’t attempt a medical abortion if you’ve been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period). Some types of medical abortions aren’t recommended after seven weeks of pregnancy.
2. If you have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
3. If you have an ectopic pregnancy- a pregnancy implanted somewhere outside the uterus. An ectopic pregnancy is only diagnosed with an ultrasound.
4. If you have certain medical conditions like blood and bleeding disorders; heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney, or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
5. If you take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
6. If you are unable to make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
7. If you have an allergy to the medicine used (read about them HERE)
You owe it to yourself and your future health and safety to proceed cautiously with the abortion pill if you take any of the above medications.
2. There Are Risks to Taking the Abortion Pill
Just because you can order the abortion pill online doesn’t mean it is without risks. There are serious risks to consider before placing your order, including:
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) – This can develop after having an abortion with an untreated STD. Getting proper screening and treatment before this procedure can prevent this risk.
- Incomplete Abortion – An incomplete abortion happens when parts of the pregnancy remain in the uterus. This can cause infection and may require a surgical abortion to remove the remaining tissue.
- Other Risks – Digestive system discomfort, heavy and prolonged bleeding, fever, and infection are all serious risks of the abortion pill.
3. You Need Important Pre-Abortion Screenings
Before you order the abortion pill, getting an ultrasound and testing for STDs is essential. We can do both of those in our clinic at zero cost to you.
An ultrasound will tell you exactly how far along you are. Knowing the gestational age is vital because the abortion pill is only FDA-approved through the first nine weeks of pregnancy and can be dangerous later.
Testing for STDs can help prevent Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. It’s important to test regularly for STDs since many (including Chlamydia and Gonorrhea) don’t have noticeable symptoms.
Your Next Steps
We offer both ultrasounds and STD testing for free at our center. You need to make a fully-informed decision, even if it is less convenient to get these screenings before you order the abortion pill online. You’ll be glad you didn’t skip them knowing you did everything within your power to protect your health. Schedule your appointment with our registered nurses today.