If you’re thinking about taking the abortion pill (also known as a medication abortion), you need a pre-abortion screening. It’s critical for your medical safety and well being. A pre-abortion screening is a standard practice in many healthcare settings for the following reasons:
- Accurate Gestational Age: Knowing the gestational age of the pregnancy is crucial when considering the abortion pill. Depending on how far along you are in your pregnancy, taking the abortion pill isn’t even a safe option according to the FDA. If you’re further than 10 weeks along, you’ll need a surgical abortion.To read the FDA regulations on the abortion pill, click HERE
- Ectopic Pregnancy Detection: An ectopic pregnancy happens when the fertilized egg implants somewhere besides the uterus (typically the fallopian tubes). It is a medical emergency. The abortion pill doesn’t work for ectopic pregnancies, and undiagnosed ectopic pregnancies can be life-threatening. Pre-abortion screenings help identify ectopic pregnancies, and can save you from a major medical incident.
- Health Assessment: Pre-abortion screenings include a look at your medical history to help identify any medical conditions or current medicine’s you’re taking that could affect your safety during the abortion process.To read what Mayo Clinic Says about who isn’t a candidate for the abortion pill click HERE
- Viability : It is important to know if the pregnancy is still growing or if it has stopped growing and you’ll end up miscarrying. An abortion costs from about $300 upwards, so why pay for something you might not end up needing.
- Informed Consent: Pre-abortion screenings give healthcare providers the chance to offer counseling and information about the abortion process, its risks, potential side effects, and available alternatives. An informed decision about your pregnancy is the best kind of decision.
Yes, abortion is illegal in South Dakota. However, you cannot be prosecuted for talking to a medical professional about taking the abortion pill. In fact, it’s highly encouraged to talk to one before ordering them online. At Option 1, we specialize in confidential pre-abortion screenings and offer them at no cost. Our registered nurses are available to answer any questions you might have and to give you the medical information you need to make an educated decision for the outcome of your pregnancy. Your safety is our priority. To schedule your appointment with our nurses, click HERE